Thursday, February 2, 2012

Renewed relevance!

I arrived a few hours ago in one of the southernmost countries in the world, namely South Africa. Suddenly this blog is once again appropriately named! So here goes my triumphant return to blogging.

I sat on the plane to Frankfurt next to a girl from Caro, Michigan who had never crossed the Atlantic before. We exchanged pleasantries about what we were doing with our lives. She was going on a week-long trip to Berlin before heading back to Caro and her boyfriend who is "the" elementary school teacher there. This was probably her one trip--the big trip!--to a foreign land. I guessed her age incorrectly because she hadn't gone to a four year college and was subsequently overwhelmed by privilege.

My new apartment is in Obs, the trendy mixed race neighborhood near the university. Since I don't have a key yet I have left only once, to visit the grocery store with my roomie. This particular roommate is actually moving out for unclear reasons but it appears to have something to do with him being 20 years old and not washing his dishes. My other roommates will start appearing progressively--one gets in tomorrow, and one next week.

My main adventure so far is that I bought Rooibus flavored yogurt! And I am happy to report it is delicious.

No comments: